Saturday, June 2, 2007

Brandi and Amy

Rarely do I see Vh1's You Oughtta Know segment and think "oh yeah- I'm SO downloading that song." Usually, the featured artists are so sickeningly mainstream like The Fray and Hinder. And, let's face it, Vh1 can run a song into the ground. For a while there Augustana's Boston was played so long that I would feel a rage bubble up inside of me every time I caught the segment. Lately, however, I've found two artists thanks to it: Brandi Carlile and Amy Winehouse.
Firstly, Englander Amy is the antithesis to everything that is acceptable in this country that I couldn't help but be fascinated by her. She drinks heavily, smokes heavily, and is covered with tattoos and presents herself with a no apologies attitude. I bought her album and really dig it. Highlights are Rehab, Me & Mr. Jones and Love Is a Losing Game. Mark Ronson, who has produced music for Robbie Williams, has produced several songs on the album. Mark is also the older brother of DJ Samantha Ronson, who lately has been connected to Lindsey Lohan.
Then there's Brandi Carlile, who is the complete opposite of Amy. She is a singer/songwriter from the NW part of the country and (gasp!) her music has been featured on Grey's Anatomy. That alone would usually be a reason for me to turn it off, but after listening to The Story, I can't help but say that it is worth downloading. She reminds me of Melissa Etheridge in many ways. When the song starts to rock out you will know exactly what I'm talking about.
So, my little bug has been sounding a little Sapphic lately, which is also a sign that there is something different going on in my head. Hell, as long as the music is good who cares? -K

1 comment:

  1. Amy Winehouse is great - I love Rehab and Back in Black. I first heard her on Reg's Coffee House which plays a lot of non-mainstream stuff. Check it out.

    Great blog by the way - the entries always have just the right touch of thinly veiled cynicism.
    JD

    ReplyDelete