Saturday, December 2, 2006

Is That A Red Thong I See?

J and I attended the Panic! At The Disco show last weekend at the Family Arena in St. Charles. Plain White T’s and Jack’s Mannequin opened.

The Plain White T’s were great, but the lead singer had these low rider, women’s cut jeans that gradually began to creep down his ass. J and I both looked at each other at one point and swore we saw ass cheek. So, I ask the question, was the lead singer wearing a red thong? Because, seeing red underwear in this situation is one thing, but from where we were sitting it looked like we saw flesh in a most unexpected place. We will never know. I love their song Delilah and the crowd lit up with blue cell phone lights during its performance.

Jack’s Mannequin was a crowd favorite. I haven’t listened to any of their music and from what J told me, the lead singer recently survived cancer. They rocked the house.

While we waited for Panic! At The Disco to take the stage, the NIN video for The Perfect Drug played on the jumbotron. God, how great was that video.

What can I say about Panic! At The Disco. I did not expect to be entertained like that. I’m not a fan of their music and honestly the songs were overshadowed by the dancers that performed for the show’s duration. J put it best when she described one dance performance as “walking 69”. J then looked at me and suggested that I ask a guy who I've been avoiding if he can do this. If he can, then I should agree or at least consider to hang out with him more.

As far as the band’s performance, I can’t help but describe it as something close to perfection. For being so young, they demonstrated an expertise in regards to showmanship and orchestration. The lead singer cuts quite a handsome figure on stage, but as I watched him break into dance, flirt with the guitarist, and prance around I couldn’t help but wonder when he’ll be coming out of the closet. I don’t care really, but putting my observation from that night together with the night that J and I hung out behind the Pageant and saw him not look one female fan in the eye UNTIL J’s tall and handsome nephew D complimented him on the performance, at which time Brendan was all about the eye contact, I can’t help but wonder. Regardless, he’s a gifted performer and I hope he’s having the time of his life doing what he’s doing.

The most unexpected part of the show was the band’s cover of Killer Queen. When the song began J glanced over at me with a nervous look. I’m a little territorial when it comes to Queen, but when it was all said and done it was a perfect cover. I truly loved it. Again, I’m not a fan of Panic!’s music, so it was also wonderful to hear a song I actually liked that night.

I know I was a grumpy bitch during the show, J, but I have to give it an Unexpected. It was, in truth, a very good show. As Jack Black would say “well played, Panic! At The Disco.” -K

No comments:

Post a Comment