Sunday, October 28, 2007

Los Pacaminos - Unexpected

Jonesing for a concert, I found myself at a local theatre in walking distance from my living accommodations seeing a band called Los Pacaminos. The band is made up of some fine musicians playing the usual as well as steel guitar and accordion. The music was labelled Tex Mex, a term that I thought was only used to describe food that usually has a lot of cheese and is best eaten with a margarita. The draw for some in the audience was Paul Young. I have to admit it made me curious. However, he stood silent on the stage due to flu while the party went on around him. Shots of tequila were brought out to the stage more than once and because it was the first night of their tour, it had a not quite ready for prime time feel. After the second song one of the guys asked the audience who hadn’t seen them before. Less than a quarter of the audience raised their hand and he asked jokingly in response, “Disappointed yet?”

The one thing I wish I would have gotten a picture of was their roadie. He was a young guy and because of some technical difficulties was on stage quite a bit. He was dressed from the neck down in black. Black cargo pants were tucked into Doc Martins. A sleeveless black Jack Daniels shirt was covered by a pocketed black vest. But around his short haircut he wore a red handkerchief tied around his forehead. It reminded me a lot of the Karate Kid “sweep the leg” actor.

The music was really a mixture of Cajun, Mexican and old rock and roll covers. At the end of the show, N, my concert buddy said, “Not bad for a bunch of English boys”. A few weeks before when talking about music, N had said that the American bands that came to town were the best in concert. He said it, not me. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment