Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm Not There


I had the good fortune last night to get a ticket into the London Film Festival’s showing of I’m Not There. The movie was inspired by and features Bob Dylan’s music and is probably a must if you’re a Dylan fan. I will warn you, if you need a linear storyline, this is not the film for you! Since just in the last year have I become a fan of Dylan’s early work I probably didn’t get all of the references.

In the film there are six people that play characters that are based on Dylan’s image in a certain time period. It is kind of hard to explain. The actor getting the most press for playing one of these characters was Cate Blanchett and she is truly amazing. Her part of the film is shot in black and white and when she has on sunglasses, the angles of her face look amazingly like a 60’s Bob Dylan.

I got to hear some of the Q&A with the director after the screening. Todd Haynes wanted to do a movie about the 60s and about an icon who has managed to reinvent himself over the years. It is like nothing you have probably seen before. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment