Friday, April 27, 2007

Southern Culture on the Skids in St. Louis


As you can read from the earlier post, I have been so over the news and down on the current state of affairs in this country. I needed something to take my mind off of these seemingly unfixable problems. I needed beer, Bermuda shorts, big hair, and bowling shirts. I needed Southern Culture on the Skids. My friend M went with me to the show. They were playing in the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill which is a small basement venue in The Loop in University City and it was a packed house. After a few drinks I got over being nervous that she wouldn't like them.

From the first note of "Too Much Pork for Just One Fork", we wouldn’t think about anything but having fun until the end of the night. SCOTS blazed through a non-stop set full of favorites like "Firefly", "Liquored Up and Laquered Down", "Corn Liquor", and "Doublewide", a song about “upward mobility”. The crowd loved them and hometown fixture, Beatle Bob was right there on the side of the stage adding his own special groovy moves to the set. A particularly loaded female fan kept yelling at Rick to play the fried chicken song. He responded with, “Hold on darling, suck on that beer a little longer. We’ll get to that.” SCOTS also did some great covers including "(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden".

SCOTS wrapped up the set with "Daddy Was a Preacher but Mama was a Go Go Girl" and then "Eight Piece Box" where a bevy of female fans jumped on the stage to either throw or attempt to seductively eat fried chicken. Beatle Bob however, had grabbed what looked like a breast out of the chicken box that was being passed around and hunkered down eating it like it was dinner theatre.

If you like a party crowd and surfer/rockabilly/country/roots rock music, it’s a must event. It made me remember all of the campy crazy things about this country that I love. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment