Sunday, April 15, 2007

Are you kidding me?


I’ve been going through a phase of insomnia that is a bit different than phases of the past. Instead of not being able to fall asleep, I can’t keep my eyes open at about 9:30 so I go to bed, only to wake up worrying about something between 12:30 and 2:30 and don’t go back to sleep until about 5:00. Most of the time I log on and work since it is the source of my worry, but sometimes I watch a movie or whatever is on the TiVo box. The other night I recorded Conan O’Brien’s show because Of Montreal was going to be the musical guest and their name has been dropped in music mags lately. So it’s about 3:00 in the morning and all is quiet and I’m watching this performance and all I can think is, “What the fuck is this?” I wish it was on YouTube but it’s not. First of all the song was forgettable, but there was also a lot of performance art happening with costume changes and set displays. The lead singer plays the guitar for part of the song and then a man crouched down walks up to him and grabs the guitar and pulls it down as the lead singer steps out of the guitar strap now pooled around at his feet. When it is time to play the guitar again, the man comes back, the lead singer steps into the guitar strap and the man lifts the guitar up to the singer’s waist so he can grab it and play. I don’t even know how to describe the makeup and the costumes. It had elements of glam and maybe FAO Schwartz? If I didn’t have it recorded, in my state of sleeplessness I would have probably wondered later if my mind was playing tricks on me. Even Conan seemed a little confused as to what to say when he came over to the band to shake their hand. Weird. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment