Thursday, April 5, 2007

Life in Cartoon Motion - Unfortunate


If one had lapsed into a coma in 1990, missing the announcement of Freddie Mercury’s passing, and awakened in 2007, one might hear a Mika song on the radio and think that maybe Freddie had launched a solo career or Brian May had left Queen. The voice is spooky at times it is so dead on. Like K, I loved his single Grace Kelly, what a fun song.

I was on a business trip last week, feeling a lot of pressure at work and facing another birthday away from home. So on Tuesday I picked up the Mika CD to distract me. This CD is all over the place from songs sounding like they came out of a Gilbert and Sullivan production to human rights issues. The most obvious Queen rip-off or tribute is a song called Big Girl (You Are Beautiful). I was thinking Fat Bottomed Girls the whole time I listened to it from the a capella beginning. This song also reminded me of one of the most quotable people I have ever met in my life. We used to work together and R, an openly gay man and I were out at the mall one night after work shortly after I had met him. A very handsome man passed us arm in arm with a very large woman. He stated as if it were fact across the board, “If you ever see a good looking man like that with a heavy woman… gay”. I tried to argue the point with him but he would have none of it. Listening to this Mika song I didn’t believe for a minute that he was into big girls.

Besides Grace Kelly, there are a few upbeat songs like Ring Ring but not enough to recommend purchasing this CD. It just made me listen to Queen the whole plane ride home. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment