Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Houston Bound



My friend M is moving to Houston next week. I knew this was coming for some time, but I guess in the back of my mind, I was hoping it wouldn’t. To avoid missing him, I’ve been giving him shit about his latest musical passing fancies. About three weeks ago we went to lunch together and on the way back he said “Lady Sovereign”. I don’t think I let him say much more before I went into a tirade about how much I can’t stand her. I have a real problem with the Brit hip hop stars. I challenged him to find a picture of her without that side ponytail. He has yet to produce such a picture! Two weeks ago we were at brunch and he mentioned Lily Allen. He laughed when I rolled my eyes. I don’t hate her but I think she has zero stage presence and she’s not half as clever as her P.R. machine says she is. But then he went for the jugular with me. He went to Houston last week and saw Beyonce in concert. I can’t abide by this. I texted him the day after the concert and asked how the show was and he started in with “Brace yourself”, and blah-bity blah she was awesome. I had a one-word text response: “Bullshit”. If he feels the need to pull away through music, that is his choice.

Today for my birthday, M sent me the attached birthday greeting which made me laugh out loud.

M, I’ll leave you with this parting comment: the STL hip hop scene kicks Houston’s ass. I know after some self-reflection, you will understand how important that is. –J

No comments:

Post a Comment