Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rolling Stone


I’m a little annoyed with Rolling Stone Magazine right now for two reasons: Their show, “I’m from Rolling Stone” and their latest cover featured here.

Have you seen the show? I don’t know if they realize it, and it could all be in the editing but it looks like they have the lamest group of writers interning for them and the expectations are not so high either. Maybe it’s the fundamental problem of trying to create a show about writing. I was really looking forward to watching this but it is really unnecessary.

The other problem I have is the photo on the cover of new guitar gods issue. How interesting that John Mayer, America’s favorite passive-aggressive pretty boy (see lyrics for “Waiting on the World to Change”) is front and center and the other guitarists are blocked from view. I bought this issue in the Dallas airport this weekend and held it up to my traveling companion. He didn’t even notice the other guitarists in the picture. Nothing against John Mayer (well, not in this case), but the article is supposed to be about ability and not looks, but the cover contradicts that. Maybe I’m the only one that didn’t buy it for John Mayer. As for their list of twenty new guitar heroes, I was surprised that Matt Bellamy from Muse wasn’t listed. An article I was very much looking forward to reading proved unmoving.

Come on Rolling Stone, this is unfortunate. Good concepts but poor execution. –J

No comments:

Post a Comment