Sunday, February 25, 2007

If You’re Crazy, You Must Be Sitting Next to Me

I took my daughter A and her friend to the cultural fair our city was hosting today. We try to go every year and there is always good music and good food. This year as the girls walked around looking at the vendors, I sat down to watch an Israeli folk dance group. Two older ladies sat down next to me and began to bitch about the volume of the music. It needed to be louder. Then the woman decided to talk to me. The exchange went something like this:

Lady (with strong Jersey accent) – Don’t you think the music needs to be turned up?
Me – No, actually I think it’s quite loud.
Lady – Oh (annoyed with me)
Lady – Did you see the belly dancers perform?
Me – No, they’re usually good though. I’m sorry I missed them.
Lady (inappropriately outraged) – Well, of course they are! They’re professionals, not like this group of working people who just gather at night to do this stuff (pointing at the Israeli folk dance group).
Me – No response.
Lady – Ugh, it’s hard for women to get men to do this kind of dancing (again looking at the Israeli folk dance group). They must be gay or the wives just drag their husbands.
Me – No response.

I guess when you are older at some point you decide to say whatever the hell you want. It was cracking me up. She finally got up and left when the group began dancing to some Israeli hip-hop music, which I thought would suck, but actually was pretty good. At that moment, any kid in the place that seemed disinterested in Israeli folk dance suddenly turned and paid attention to the stage. --J

No comments:

Post a Comment