Saturday, January 20, 2007

Gnarls Barkley is H.O.T.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Unless I'm actually at a show to see the opening band, the most enthusiasm I can muster is a Celine Dion-esque forearm clap while I hold my drink in my other hand. Not the case last Monday night when I found myself whooping for Gnarls Barkley, who opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Scottrade Center.

The band came out in flightsuits and opened with Bowie's Space Oddity. Along with the Bowie cover, the setlist included a rundown of the tracks from their album St. Elsewhere. Highlights included Smiley Faces, cover Gone Daddy Gone, and Feng Shui.

With a little bit of that southern soul that is dear to Judakris, the band made you feel like you were experiencing a religious awakening rather than an opening act. It was so completely unexpected, and despite the fact that St. Louis had once again become arctic and powerless, from our perspective it felt like the warmest place on earth.

I would suggest running, not walking to see them. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment