Saturday, August 16, 2008

Red-State, Jock Rock Hell


For the first time in my life I left a show before seeing the headliner. It happened here in Huntsville when I got hold of a free ticket to see Alter Bridge. If you don’t know them, they are Creed without Scott Stapp. I assure you I would not have paid to see these guys.

The doors to the venue were to open at 7:00 PM, but standing in line to enter Sammy T’s it was about 7:30 before we actually started moving. I think I made it inside the venue around 8. That seemed ridiculous.

There were a few funny moments, but the best happened while I was in line. There was a “healthy” couple behind me who were pretty clearly wasted- or at least on their way. One of them noticed musicians driving by. The man said “next time they drive by show ‘em your tits”. She said “Hell no, I’m too old. You show ‘em yours.”

By the time Baton Rouge natives and opener Meriwhether took to the stage and delivered a mediocre set I had heard Hinder’s Lips of an Angel three times overhead. When they left the stage that song plus a short playlist of other hardly discernible songs played over and over. It was 10:00 P.M. and the headliners had not come on. It was a Tuesday night and I had an 8:30 AM meeting the following morning. I put my beer down and with a sigh of relief exited the venue.

The audience was in good spirits, but mostly wasted by the time I left Sammy T’s. I’m not impressed with this venue. It’s much too loud and gets too hot too quickly with only a few good vantage points if you’re below average height (coughs). You’d be surprised how often my height has not been an issue! For being so convenient, I wish the venue would have better air ventilation and offer a wider variety of bands.

Because I work across the street, I walk past the venue whenever I walk up to the local cafe and grab my morning latte. Whenever bands are playing that evening you’ll see the buses and equipment trucks parked in the street and the flurry of activity is kind of fun to walk past. Photobucket That morning I noticed a few people who were camped out determined to be first in line. It was a brutally hot day and I don’t know how they did it. Good on them. I do hope that they weren’t disappointed at the end of the night after their efforts, but something tells me their expectations were FAR different from mine. -K

No comments:

Post a Comment